Friday, July 25, 2008

Greetings from Indiana

We've made it to my soldier's parent's house in Indiana! We arrived late last night and I quickly thought how good it felt to be home. The boys didn't waste any time getting out of the car and running in and all T-Monkey could say when we pulled in the driveway was "Play, Play!" She' s only 23 months but it's as if she'd been here all her life. She knew where the toys were and most importantly, where the fish were! Grandma and Grandpa have lots of fish, some inside and some outside. It's her favorite thing. I know it warms his heart that we are all here right now.
The purpose for coming on this trip is two-fold. One, we all needed a break from the house we just moved in to that was feeling a little empty without our soldier. Don't get me wrong, we all LOVE that house and where we live and the blessings are definitely abundant. It's just so hard to start out in a new home with one of your family members absent. We want to experience the town but we also want to wait until our soldier can be with us. It's a very conflicting time. Two, Football's birthday is tomorrow and we usually end up in Indiana sometime in the summer for a visit and it usually happens to fall on his day. This year, I mentioned that I didn't think I could make that kind of trip by myself and I could see the HUGE disappointment on both of my boys' faces. So, when asked if he would rather do a second football camp or go to Grandma and Grandpa's for his birthday, Football answered without hesitation, "Let's hit the road!" I knew then we had to go.
This is a very special time for us. Although I would give just about anything for our soldier to be with us now, here in the home he grew up in, I have never felt anything but incredible love in this house even when I'm here without him.
They surround me with support, understanding and unconditional love. Can you even fathom? I'm constantly thanking God above for them. I don't feel like an 'in-law' here. They've never given me a reason to. There have been moments just today spending time with my 'sisters' laughing, talking and just hanging out where tears tried to come because it makes me remember the times when we have ALL been together like this. But in a strange way it also makes me feel very close to him right now and I so desperately need that. They are here for me and I know it and they lovingly endure my long winded talks about my soldier and every other story having to do with him. They deserve some kind of medal or standing ovation, you just have no idea!
So tomorrow, Football will be 14 (OMG-14!) and although we won't have our soldier here to celebrate with us, we have the next best thing....his amazing family.

10 comments:

deb8able said...

I think you are doing a marvelous job of keeping it together and making sure the kids do what they want.

I know a woman who refers to her husbands family as my "mother-in-love" and "father-in-love" which is great. You are very lucky!

Have a safe trip home and Happy Birthday to football!

Pam said...

Welcome to Indiana! Were here too somewhere!!! LOL!! My second just turned 14 this month too and my birthday is tommorrrow! Happy Birthday Football!! Good Job driving all the way there mom!!

Pam

sscrunner said...

I think this is something you all need. It is nice to get away and enjoy family time, just to keep your mind off of your soldier not being home with you all. You are a brave woman..That is a long trip and it takes a special person to load up three kids and travel. Happy Birthday to football!!!

Crooked Eyebrow said...

Glad you made it safely!


Happy Birthday (14???) Mr. Football.


**shut up, you don't have a 14 year old. it's not possible, I've seen your photos**

Mom23Boys said...

Happy Birthday Football!!

Sandra said...

Family is wonderful. Savor your time together.

Mimi's Toes said...

Welcome to Indiana! I found you from crooked eyebrow. You have a lot of strength raising 2 boys while waiting for your soldier to come home. That's great that you have a close relationship with his family. Have a Great visit and Happy Birthday to your 14 year old. God Bless you and thank your husband for me for serving our country, I really appreciate him.

D... said...

I have an OMG She's 14 myself. Where did the time go? I hope your son had a wonderful day.

Enjoy your family!

Anonymous said...

You are holding up so well. I hope your son has a wonderful birthday. Enjoy your family and let them support you as you so especially deserve. Have FUN!

*Lissa* said...

That is so awesome that you have that kind of relationship with your hubby's family. I wish I had that with mine! That is great that you have them to be close with while he is away.